Firing outside White House, attacker killed

There was panic near the White House in Washington DC on Saturday evening when an incident of firing came to light near the Presidential Complex. According to the United States Secret Service, a suspect suddenly started firing near a security post outside the White House complex, after which the security personnel retaliated. The suspect died in the incident, while a passerby was also injured.

Secret Service officials said the shooting occurred near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, located at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, near the White House. According to sources related to the investigation, the suspect moved towards the security booth and started firing at the Secret Service officers stationed there. In response the officers immediately opened fire.

How many rounds were fired?

According to sources associated with law enforcement agencies, 10 to 30 rounds were fired during the firing. The suspect was injured in retaliation, after which he was taken into custody and taken to the hospital, where he died during treatment.

Who was the accused?

According to American media reports, the attacker has been identified as Nasir Best. However, his identity has not yet been officially confirmed by the authorities. According to Reuters report, the suspect is said to be mentally disturbed and a “stay-away order” was also previously issued against him.

How did the accused enter inside?

According to the Secret Service, the incident occurred near the White House security cordon at around 6 pm (local time) on Saturday evening. Officials say that the suspect approached the security post carrying a bag and suddenly took out a weapon from the bag and started firing towards the officers stationed there. After this, Secret Service officers immediately responded, in which the suspect was seriously injured. Later he died during treatment in the hospital.

Where was Donald Trump at the time of the incident?

US President Donald Trump was present inside the White House at the time of the incident. A Secret Service spokesman said the president was “not affected” by the incident. A White House official later confirmed that the President was given full information immediately after the incident. It is reported that at the time of the incident, Trump and his team were busy in talks regarding efforts to end the ongoing conflict related to Iran.

What happened in the White House as soon as the shooting happened?

As soon as the sound of firing was heard, the journalists and employees present in the White House complex were instructed to go inside immediately. The White House complex was put on lockdown for some time. Around 7 pm, security agencies confirmed that the situation was under control, after which the lockdown was lifted.

According to the journalists present at the spot, continuous gunshots were heard around 6 pm. An ABC reporter said he was recording social media video from the White House North Lawn when suddenly firing started. NBC News correspondent Julie Tsirkin claimed that she heard about 20 to 30 gunshots.

Did anyone get harmed?

A pedestrian has also been injured in the incident. However, officials have not yet shared detailed information about his condition. It is also not clear whether he was injured by the suspect’s bullet or during retaliation. There is no report of any Secret Service officer being injured. Officials say that due to the prompt action of the security personnel, major damage was averted.

What was the suspect’s motive?

FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed that agency officials are assisting the Secret Service in investigating the case. Investigative agencies are now trying to find out what the suspect’s motive was and whether his target was specifically the White House or Secret Service officials.

Speaker of the US House of Representatives Mike Johnson praised the Secret Service officers after the incident. In a statement released on social media, he said that the agents deployed to protect President Trump acted bravely and swiftly. He also wished for the speedy recovery of those injured in the incident.

Has Trump been targeted before?

This incident has happened at a time when a few weeks ago, a case of alleged assassination conspiracy targeting President Trump came to light. According to investigating agencies, an attack on Trump was planned during the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner on April 25. In this case, California resident Cole Thomas Allen was accused of attempting to assassinate the President. The accused has pleaded innocent in court and is currently in federal custody.

After the latest firing incident near the White House, questions have once again started being raised about the presidential security system in America. At present, the investigation of the case is going on and security agencies are investigating the activities and possible intentions of the suspect.

Comments are closed.