Shooting outside the White House: Secret Service killed the suspect, Trump was present in the complex
There was a sensation near America’s White House on Saturday evening (local time) when an attacker reached near the security post and started firing indiscriminately at law enforcement officers. The suspect was killed in the prompt response of the US Secret Service. President Donald Trump was present in his official residence at the time of the incident.
Events and quick action
According to an official statement from the Secret Service’s communications office, the security breach occurred near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue at approximately 6 p.m. Eastern Time. A suspicious person reached the security checkpoint, took out a weapon from his bag and fired at the officers deployed there. According to the report of ‘Fox News’, during this time, sounds of about 30 rounds of bullets were heard, due to which there was chaos in the entire area.
The Secret Service police retaliated and shot the suspect on the spot. The seriously injured attacker was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where doctors declared him dead during treatment. The agency confirmed that no Secret Service officer was injured in the encounter.
Pedestrian injured, investigation ongoing
An innocent pedestrian was also injured in this firing. Law enforcement sources say that at present it is not clear whether the pedestrian was shot by the suspect’s weapon or during the retaliatory action by the security forces. Authorities have not disclosed the identity of the attacker and his motives.
President Trump is completely safe
President Donald Trump was present inside the White House at the time of the incident. The Secret Service clarified that this security lapse had no impact on the President nor did it cause any disruption to his security.
Senior officials responded
FBI Director Kash Patel, while sharing information on social media, said that officers are actively responding to the shooting incident. As concrete information is received, the public will be updated at every level. At the same time, the Metropolitan Police Department has appealed to citizens to stay away from the area around 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue until the investigation is completed.
This incident has happened last year also
It is noteworthy that this is not the first incident. In November last year, another attacker targeted two members of the West Virginia National Guard in the same area. US Army specialist Sarah Beckstrom died in that attack, while Andrew Wolf was seriously injured. Charges were framed against Rahmanullah Lakanwal in the said case.
Comments are closed.