‘Our children are not safe’: Omar Abdullah reacts to shocking murder of young girl in Kashmir’s Budgam
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday strongly condemned the murder of a young preteen girl in Central Kashmir’s Budgam district, calling the incident “shocking” and “deeply distressing.”
In a statement posted on social media platform X, Omar Abdullah expressed grief over the killing and said the incident had raised serious concerns about the safety of children in society.
“The tragic murder of a young preteen girl in Budgam district of Central Kashmir is both shocking & deeply distressing. While the appropriate agencies enquire into the circumstances of her murder, it’s also fitting that we reflect on where we as a society are headed when our young children are not safe,” the Chief Minister said.
The Chief Minister also condemned the attack “without reservation or condition” and extended condolences to the victim’s family.
“I condemn this brutal attack without reservation or condition & send my sympathies to her family. May she find place in Jannat,” he added.
According to officials, the body of the young girl was recovered from the Budgam district earlier on Sunday, triggering outrage and concern among local residents. Police teams and forensic experts were rushed to the area soon after information about the incident emerged. Authorities have launched a detailed investigation to determine the circumstances surrounding the killing.
Omar Abdullah further stated that his government would extend full cooperation to investigative agencies to ensure strict punishment for those responsible.
“My government will support the agencies to the fullest extent possible to ensure exemplary punishment is given to those found guilty,” he said.
Senior police officials said multiple angles are being examined as part of the investigation, though no official confirmation regarding suspects or motive had been released till Sunday evening. Security and law enforcement agencies have also increased monitoring in the area following public anger over the incident.
The murder has sparked widespread reactions across Jammu and Kashmir, with political leaders, activists and local residents demanding swift justice and stronger protection measures for children.
Cases involving crimes against minors continue to generate serious concern across the region. Child rights activists have repeatedly urged authorities to strengthen policing, awareness campaigns and community-based safety systems to prevent such incidents.
The latest case from Budgam has once again intensified debate around women’s and children’s safety in Jammu and Kashmir, with residents calling for fast-track investigation and strict legal action against those responsible.
Further details are awaited as the police investigation progresses.
Comments are closed.