First of all I’d like to clear that Chandrayaan 2 is far from failure, It has achieved 95% success as quoted by ISRO officials, While landing the Vikram Lander, the connection was lost.
During the decent the lander went down smoothly, but less than two miles above the surface, the trajectory diverged from the planned path. The mission control room fell silent as communications from the lander were lost.
later the isro’s chief announced that the spacecraft was operating as expected until an altitude of 2.1 kilometers, or 1.3 miles. “The data is being analyzed,” he said.
If the lander crashed, it occurred during a period that Dr. Sivan had called “15 minutes of terror.” A series of steps had to be completed by computers on board the spacecraft in the correct sequence but now no one knows what happend to the lander.
Prime minister Modi encouraged all the scientist and thanked them for their efforts, this does means that our mission has not succeeded as planned but labelling it as a complete failure would be naive as tje Orbiter is still functioning well.
India was poised to make history by its attempts to land a spacecraft on the moon. If the landing had succeeded, India would have become the 4th nation to do soft landing and the first to land near the lunar south pole which is the riskiest region as the probability of success rate is just 33% in that region.
Only the U.S., Russia and China have successfully landed spacecraft on the moon. An attempt by Israel failed in April 2019.
India’s first attempt to land on the Moon might have gone in vain but the ambitious Chandrayaan 2 mission is far from a flop. With a mission life of one year, the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter will still remain in operation and will continue to study the Moon from Lunar orbit. As quoted by ISRO officials “Only 5 per cent of the mission has been lost – Vikram the lander and Pragyan the rover – while the remaining 95 per cent – that is the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter – is orbiting the moon successfully”.
The orbiter will take several pictures of the moon and send it to the ISRO over the next year to study the moon surface with a far more clarity and efficiency than Chandrayaan 1 and The orbiter will definitely take pictures of the lander to find out its whereabouts, the ISRO official added. The rover inside the lander had a lifespan of only 14 days equivalent to 1 lunar day.
The successful launch of Chandrayaan 2 on board the giant GSLV Mark 3 rocket is a great feat per se and its successful insertion in the lunar orbit is seen as a testament to India’s low cost space programme.
The Chandrayaan 2 mission is unique because of its low cost of about $140 million. The United States spent the equivalent of more than $100 billion on its Apollo missions. The Apollo’s and Soyuz’s have also failed many times and learned from their failures whereas India’s Chandrayaan 2 is a partial success and partial failure. India surely has got a lot to learn from this.ISRO had apprehended before the landing that it was a complex manoeuvre, which Dr Sivan called “15 minutes of terror”.
The Spacecraft attempted successful manoeuvres as planned like rough braking phase and during the fine braking phase the descent was as planned and normal performance was observed up to an altitude of just 2.1 km. Subsequently, communication from Lander to the ground stations was lost.We are proud of our space program.
Today our resolve to touch the moon has grown even stronger and with learning from setbacks we surely will conquer the Moon, not immediately but definitely.
At last I’d like to quote few words for the neighbours who are so elated and celebrating as if they have done something extraordinary.
“Manzil mil hi jayegi…..Manzil mil hi jayegi, Bhatak k hi sahi……Gumraah to vo hai, Jo ghar se nikle hi nahi”
translation: (The destination will eventually be achieved even if it means wandering , the misguided or losers are those who haven’t even come out of their homes from the fear of getting lost.)
Moreover, my few cents to ISRO….
Dear ISRO, You lost the Communication, not Confidence, not Commitment, not Courage, not Challenge.