19 Arrested So Far For Violence During Encroachment Removal Drive 90 Action Completed On Fourth Day

So far, 19 people have been arrested in connection with the violence and stone pelting that took place during the ongoing major anti-encroachment campaign in Garib Nagar area of ​​Bandra East, Mumbai. Western Railway has claimed that almost 90 percent work of the demolition drive has been completed.

According to police officials, the 15 arrested accused were produced in Bandra Court on Thursday, from where they were sent to police custody till May 26. Three other accused are to be produced in court on Friday. A minor caught in the case has been sent to the Children Remand Home.

Police say the investigation is still ongoing and more arrests may be made in the coming days. Cases have been registered against more than 100 people for violence and obstruction of government action.

In fact, earlier this week, tension had spread in the area during the removal of alleged illegal structures near Bandra Terminus. The teams that came to remove the encroachment were pelted with stones and there were clashes with the police. Many policemen were also injured during this period.

Despite this, Western Railways continued its anti-encroachment campaign for the fourth consecutive day on Friday (May 22) amid heavy security arrangements. Western Railways, Mumbai Police, Railway Safety Agencies and Municipal Corporation officials are jointly involved in this campaign.

Vineet Abhishek, Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway, told the media that elaborate arrangements were made in advance to carry out the operation in a safe and orderly manner. He said that by the end of the third day, about 90 percent of the demolition work was completed.

According to officials, Thursday’s operation remained peaceful in contrast to the violent situation on Wednesday. About 1,100 security personnel and 13 machines were deployed in this action on Thursday. This is being described as one of the biggest anti-encroachment operations of Western Railway in recent years.

Railway officials said the action now mainly focuses on removing overhead structures and temporary structures that were built over the rehabilitated slums. It is also being ensured that the ground floor structures eligible for rehabilitation are not damaged.

Officials also said that the work of removing debris is going on round the clock. A railway spokesperson said, “The work does not stop even at night and the debris is being cleared continuously.” According to the information, this demolition campaign may continue till May 23. After this, fencing and post-demolition clearance work will be done to prevent re-encroachment on the railway land.

Also read:

Important meeting between PM Modi and Cyprus President Nicos Christodoulides, many issues discussed

The shopkeeper who sold Jhalmuri to PM Modi is in fear, receiving threats from Pakistan-Bangladesh

America’s most advanced F-35B jet gets stranded again, stranded on small island for more than 2 months

Comments are closed.