Rajasthan Royals seek waiver to host IPL games in Jaipur amid safety concerns

Ahmedabad, Feb 17 (PTI) Racing against time to make the stadium match-ready for the IPL, Rajasthan Royals have sought an indemnity waiver from the state government to host matches in Jaipur following concerns raised by an independent audit firm and the BCCI over venue preparedness.

While Bengaluru’s Chinnaswamy has got the government’s nod to host RCB games for the upcoming season, there is still no clarity over the home venue for Rajasthan Royals.

With the lack of clarity over the Sawai Mansingh Stadium (SMS), the BCCI has not been able to share the final IPL schedule with the franchises.

Sources told PTI that the Rajasthan State Sports Council (RSSC) has dismissed majority of the the safety concerns raised by Tata Projects in their 700-page audit and despite BCCI ranking the stadium is the lowest in terms of fan experiences.

In the aftermath of the deadly stampede at Chinnaswamy last year, it is understandable for another franchise to not take a chance over fan safety at their home venue.

Therefore, it has a sought an indemnity letter from the RSSC. The fact that state association is run by an ad-hoc body is not helping the matter.

The IPL franchise, through Tata Projects had earlier submitted a 700-page audit report of the SMS stadium, highlighting massive ‘fan safety concerns’, rendering the venue unsafe to host IPL matches.

In response to a two-month audit conducted by the firm, the RSSC commissioned a committee including its PWD department which conducted a ten day assessment to come out with an assessment that Rajasthan Royals’ concerns are unfounded, barring minor repairs works and that the stadium is fully ready to host IPL.

The BCCI too, time and again have raised concerns on the venue and rated the venue as the lowest in fan experience.

“Unfortunately SMS stadium significantly lags behind other IPL venues on modern facilities and overall fan experience,” says BCCI source, adding, “safety and security protocols, fan experience and overall comfort of people, family coming to watch matches at SMS stadium, are paramount to IPL and are non-negotiable.” The BCCI source also highlighted that RSSC were warned last year that the board does not encourage direct liaising with state govt or local authorities, except its member association, and a special permission was granted to RSSC during IPL 2024 and 2025 in the absence of a functioning RCA.

“It was a one time dispensation under exceptional circumstances, and it was very clearly communicated. It cannot be set as a precedent and cannot continue,” the source added.

In the audit, tests were conducted according to the central government established and updated national regulatory codes like National Building Code, National Electric Code, Fire Code and Safety Code in Sports Ground.

The reports reveal severe deficiencies in life safety, structural integrity and statutory compliance, highlighting SMS Stadium fails minimum safety standards in all parameters. PTI

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Federal staff and is auto-published from a syndicated feed.)

Comments are closed.