Warriors Notes: Roster Changes, Offseason Focus, Draft Workouts, Armstrong

The Warriors got their most pressing bit of summer business done early when they extended head coach Steve Kerr for two more years. Now, their focus will turn to shaping the roster into a more competitive team.

General manager Mike Dunleavy Jr. previously made comments expressing his confidence in the roster the team put out this year from a talent standpoint. That could mean that improvements will be more in the form of marginal adjustments, rather than wholesale changes.

There’s a 70% chance of Draymond Green returning next season, The Athletic’s Nick Fridell writes in a preview of who could be on the move. He gives a 65% chance of Al Horford returning and a 50% chance of Kristaps Porzingis returning. Lowest on the list is soon-to-be third-year center Quinten Postwhom Friedell gives a 15% chance to. While Post has gotten many chances with the team, he fell out of the rotation at times, and his status will likely depend on what happens with Horford and Porzingis.

While the big names at the top of the depth chart might not change much this summer, Kerr and the team know that this marks a transition point for the organization, Dalton Johnson writes for NBC Sports Bay Area.

“We can’t legitimately look at our roster, look at our injuries, look at the Spurs, at OKC and Minnesota — we can’t sit here and say we are a championship contender right now,” Kerr said. “This is going to require some personnel moves. It’s going to require rethinking how we’re operating. … There’s a lot to fix this summer, and before we can even begin to talk about playoffs and championships, we’ve got a big challenge ahead, and we’re excited about it.”

We have more on the Warriors:

Game 1 between the Thunder and Spurs was a clear message of what the Warriors need to focus on adding this offseason: namely, dynamic athleticism, Johnson writes. Dunleavy is aware of the team’s deficiencies in that regard, especially with Jimmy Butler and Moses Moody expected to miss the beginning of the season with injuries. “That’s a huge hole in generally your most athletic position,” Dunleavy said. “We’ll always look to add athletically — length, size, skill, all those things. But, watching the playoffs, you learn a lot. You see the teams where they’re at, where you need to go, and it’s good to see.” Dunleavy also wants to prioritize players who take care of the ball and don’t turn it over.
Golden State hosted a pre-draft workout on Wednesday, the team announced (via Twitter). The group included Maliq Brown (Duke), Ryan Conwell (Louisville), Ja’Kobi Gillespie (Tennessee), Robert McCray V (Florida State), Emanuel Sharp (Houston), and Ernest Udeh (Miami). The Warriors have picks 11 and 54 in the 2026 draft. The players who worked out on Wednesday consist of potential second-round targets.
Warriors two-way restricted free agent Taran Armstrong has signed a two-year deal with the Tasmania JackJumpers, per ESPN’s Olgun Uluc (Twitter link). The second year of the deal is a player option. Armstrong went unselected in the 2024 Draft. He played last season for a loaded Dubai team featuring Davis Bertans, Dwayne Bacon, Matt Ryanand other former NBA players, averaging 2.9 points in 15.9 minutes per game. Before that, he played for the Cairns Taipans in Australia’s NBL, where he averaged 17.1 points and 4.7 assists.

Comments are closed.