82 people dead so far due to explosion in China’s coal mine

Beijing. The death toll in the massive explosion that occurred on Friday night at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s Shanxi province has increased to 82, while many workers are still missing.

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Li Qiang have given instructions to put full force into relief and rescue work and provide better treatment to the injured. China’s state news agency Xinhua said on Saturday that the explosion occurred at 7.29 pm on Friday in Qianyuan county of Shanxi province.

This area is located about 520 kilometers south-west of Beijing. Before the accident, an alert of carbon monoxide gas was issued in the mine. Shortly thereafter a massive explosion occurred.

247 laborers were working in the mine at the time of the explosion. It is not yet clear how many people are still trapped inside. Relief and rescue operations are going on. According to the county’s emergency management bureau, 82 people have died in the coal mine accident, while nine others are still missing.

More than 200 people were present inside the mine at the time of the explosion. A total of 123 people are being treated in various hospitals, of which two are in critical condition, while 119 others have suffered minor injuries.

According to the bureau, 755 people including relief and rescue teams and medical personnel have been sent to the spot. The Ministry of Emergency Management said it had dispatched six national mine emergency rescue teams, involving a total of 345 people, to assist in rescue operations.

A doctor from Licheng County, located about 130 km from Qianyuan County, said he received the order at 4 a.m. and immediately rushed to the scene with equipment and medicines. At present, they are present at the spot along with other medical and rescue teams.

Local officials said those responsible from the company involved in the mine accident have been taken into custody as per the law. An investigation team sent by China’s State Council has promised to investigate the accident thoroughly and rigorously.

After the accident, President Jinping directed the rescue teams to make every possible effort to find the missing people. He said that those responsible for the accident will not be spared.

The President said all sectors and government departments should learn lessons from this accident, remain vigilant about workplace safety and conduct thorough risk investigations to prevent major accidents.

Chinese Prime Minister Qiang said that every possible effort is being made to find the missing workers. He talked about conducting a detailed investigation into the accident and taking strict action against the culprits.

According to foreign media reports, this accident is considered to be the biggest coal mine accident in China in the last decade. China has tightened mine safety rules in the last few years, yet mine accidents continue to occur there.

Pressure to increase coal production and negligence in safety standards in many places are considered to be the main reasons for this. It is notable that coal is still used extensively for energy in China. More than half of the country’s energy needs are met by coal.

Shanxi province is considered to be the largest coal producing region of China. A large part of the country’s energy needs are met by the mines here. However, due to continuous production pressure, questions have been raised regarding safety here. Last month too, a mine accident took place in Luliang area of ​​Shanxi, in which four workers died.

Comments are closed.