Tokyo: An earthquake of 5.9 magnitude that occurred in Japan early on Sunday caused strong tremors in the eastern part including the capital Tokyo. At least 23 people were reported injured in four provinces due to the earthquake. Officials have clarified that there is no danger of tsunami from this earthquake. According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), the epicenter of the earthquake was about 70 kilometers below the ground in southern Ibaraki province.
Earth suddenly shook while sleeping, people got scared and fell down
The earthquake was felt early in the morning when most people were sleeping. Suddenly an emergency alert started ringing on the mobile phone and people got scared due to the strong vibration. Many people fell to the floor or collided with furniture and doors while trying to get out of bed and were injured.
A total of 23 people were injured in four provinces in the region, according to provincial officials. These include nine in Saitama, nine in Kanagawa, four in Chiba and one in Ibaraki.
Tremors felt in many areas including Tokyo
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the intensity of the earthquake was measured at 5.9. The US Geological Survey (USGS) recorded its initial magnitude as 5.8. Strong tremors were felt in many earthquake-affected areas of Japan, including Ibaraki, Saitama, Chiba and Tokyo.
This area of Japan is considered very sensitive in terms of seismic activities and earthquakes occur frequently here.
Tokyo-Narita Express train services affected
The earthquake also affected the transportation system. According to East Japan Railway Co., some local train services in north-eastern areas, including express train services connecting Tokyo and Narita Airport, were delayed. However, Shinkansen bullet train services continued to operate normally.
About 460 houses lost electricity
After the earthquake, information came to light that power supply to about 460 houses in Tokyo was disrupted. According to Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), power supply was restored by Sunday morning.
At the same time, Japan's Nuclear Regulatory Authority said that no irregularities have been reported from about 12 nuclear power plants and other centers related to the management of nuclear material.
Government created task force
After the earthquake, the Japanese government has started assessing the possible damage. Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said on social media platform 'X' that the government has set up a task force to monitor the situation and assess possible damage.
Japanese officials have asked people to remain alert about future aftershocks.
Last month, 38 people died in an earthquake of 7.1 magnitude.
Japan's Nuclear Regulatory Authority said there were no reports of any irregularities at about 12 nuclear power plants and other centers that handle nuclear material. Last month, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Kumamoto region of the Japanese island of Kyushu, killing 38 people and injuring 364. More than 1,500 buildings were damaged by the earthquake and about 20,000 other buildings were damaged.
Also read: Government's big decision on children's medicines! These combinations are banned under the age of 4 years