Bandipora CEO suspended after cancelling teachers’ deputation, PDP questions move

IANS

The suspension of the Chief Education Officer (CEO) of Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora district has triggered a controversy, with the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) raising questions over the Omar Abdullah government’s action.

“Has the action against the CEO been taken for making unauthorized deployments or for cancelling them? The government needs to clarify,” said former Education Minister and senior Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Naeem Akhtar.

The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Friday suspended Chief Education Officer (CEO) Bandipora, Balbir Kumar, a day after he cancelled the deputation of 34 influential teachers originally posted in the remotest education zone of Gurez but deputed to other zones without formal approval.

According to Government Order No. 79-JK (Edu) of 2026 dated February 20, 2026, issued by the School Education Department, Balbir Kumar has been placed under suspension with immediate effect pending an inquiry into his conduct under Rule 31 of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1956.

Order

social media

During the suspension period, he shall remain attached to the Directorate of School Education, Kashmir. The order does not specify the grounds of enquiry.

CEO cancelled deputation of 34 teachers

The CEO of Bandipora on Thursday cancelled the attachments of 34 teachers and directed them to report back to their original place of posting in Education Zone Gurez with immediate effect, days after an audit flagged irregular deployments involving Rs 5.14 crore.

According to an order issued by the CEO on February 19, the 34 teachers were originally appointed in Gurez but had been deployed to other education zones in the district through orders issued from time to time.

The move follows findings by the Principal Accountant General (Audit), Jammu and Kashmir, which pointed to large-scale irregularities in the attachment and detachment of teaching staff in Gurez, including unauthorised deployments and salary payments amounting to Rs 5.14 crore.

The order stated that the deployments were temporary and, in most cases, for a specified period, and did not confer any vested right on the officials to continue at their deployed stations.

It said staff rationalisation and administrative review had revealed an acute shortage of teaching staff in their parent zone, affecting the functioning of educational institutions in Gurez.

The teachers have been deemed to be relieved from their present places of deployment and directed to report to Education Zone Gurez immediately. Non-compliance would invite disciplinary action under relevant service rules, the order said.

Sources said the cancellation order has reportedly irked certain local political leaders in Gurez, at whose behest the unapproved deputations were allegedly made.

“CEO Bandipora had initiated corrective measures, and we were expecting similar action in other zones as well. But he has been punished for making an effort to rectify the mistakes,” locals said.

They added, “The developments have exposed the role of the political leadership. People now understand who was behind these decisions. Several schools in Gurez Valley have been left staff-starved due to these illegal deputations.”

The audit observed that despite sanctioned posts, schools in remote Gurez were functioning with shortages due to prolonged attachments of teachers to other zones and offices. It also noted that several deployments lacked formal administrative approval.

The findings had sparked public debate over staff imbalance, particularly as reports indicated that teachers from staff-starved zones had been shifted to relatively accessible areas, creating a surplus in some zones while tribal and remote schools struggled to maintain the Pupil-Teacher Ratio (PTR).

Comments are closed.