ED sets a target of filing 500 chargesheets in this financial year, emphasis on completing the investigation in one-two years

New Delhi. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has set a target of filing 500 chargesheets in money laundering cases in the current financial year and has directed investigating officers to complete the investigation within one to two years after registration of a case, except in “complex” cases. The investigating agency gave this information on Sunday. These measures were discussed and finalized during the 34th Quarterly Conference of Regional Officers (QCJO) of the federal probe agency held in Guwahati, the capital of Assam, on December 19-21 last year.

The meeting was chaired by ED Director Rahul Naveen. “The decision to hold the conference in the North-Eastern region reflects the strategic and operational importance of the region by the Enforcement Directorate,” the ED said in a statement, adding that the meeting was important as it was the last one before the end of the current financial year (March 31). According to the statement, officials were told that the focus should be on “meaningful” achievement of targets, logical conclusion of investigations, timely filing of prosecution complaints and ensuring that seizures and fines are legally sustainable and effectively implemented.

“The target of filing 500 charge sheets in the current financial year was reiterated and all units were urged to make coordinated efforts to achieve this target and prepare for an increased target in the next financial year,” it said. According to the statement, ED officials were also told that the powers given to them under the criminal sections of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) should be used with full responsibility and they should be exercised with “cautiousness, impartiality and Should be done with accountability.

Comments are closed.