Amidst tensions with Iran, Donald Trump now seems angry with Oman also. The possible Iran-Oman agreement regarding the Strait of Hormuz and Trump’s threat have created a new stir in the Gulf region.
In fact, the main reason for Trump’s displeasure is being said to be the ongoing talks between Oman and Iran regarding the Strait of Hormuz. According to two regional officials, the two countries have come very close to an agreement related to this important sea route. This possible deal now seems to be a cause of concern for America.
Dispute increases over Strait of Hormuz
The Trump administration is already under pressure on the Iran issue. Trump had initially talked about a short-term conflict and a weak Iran. He also expressed confidence in making a better agreement regarding Iran’s nuclear program. But the situation did not progress as expected. Now Iran has made the Strait of Hormuz an important part of its negotiation strategy. This sea route is considered very important for international trade and oil supply. Earlier it was considered an open route for ships of all countries, but Iran is now adopting a strict stance on it regarding its rights and security interests.
America-Iran talks almost stalled
Talks between America and Iran have almost come to a standstill at the moment. The 60-day period that started after the interim agreement between the two countries also ended this week. The purpose of this agreement was to pave the way for further detailed negotiations, but at present there are no indications of taking it forward. Trump has also made it clear that there are no plans for any new talks with Iran at this time. In such a situation, most of the attention is now on the ongoing talks between Iran and Oman on the Strait of Hormuz.
Talks are being held for safe movement
Iran and Oman have been discussing the safe movement of ships through this sea route for the last several weeks. Oman has provided limited information publicly on the matter, while Tehran says both sides are working towards finalizing a joint statement.
According to regional officials, in the possible agreement, different routes can be decided for the movement of ships. Under the proposal, ships entering the Gulf can use the route controlled by Iran, while those leaving can pass through the route controlled by Oman. This may also include things like security arrangements and possible fees. However, the path to this agreement is not considered easy. Officials say that for any major agreement, America may have to change its restrictions on Iranian ports.
Oman had earlier told that the talks were positive
Oman, with a population of about 5 million, is counted among the relatively peaceful countries of the Gulf region. It has not been directly targeted during the current conflict. Although Oman allows the US military to use some of its facilities, its defense relations with the US are said to be limited compared to countries like the UAE.
Oman has long supported dialogue and diplomatic solutions with Iran. Earlier this month, he had described the dialogue related to the Strait of Hormuz as positive and constructive. He also condemned the attacks on sea vessels. After the meeting of the foreign ministers of Oman and Egypt on Tuesday, Egypt said that such an agreement could open the way towards a comprehensive and permanent solution between the US and Iran.
At present, the biggest question is how much impact Trump’s threat will have on the talks between Oman and Iran. With the midterm elections approaching, the pressure on the Trump administration seems to be increasing and the eyes of the world are now fixed on the next developments on the Strait of Hormuz.