First stop, then U-turn, Vijay government withdraws order to keep students away from CJP-Left protest

New Delhi: The Tamil Nadu government has withdrawn the controversial order issued regarding students' participation in political protests. Let us tell you, in this instruction issued on August 14, school and college students were asked to stop participating in the movements organized by the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) and leftist parties. Now the government has changed its decision and canceled this order. Cynthia Selvi, Joint Director of Tamil Nadu Education Department, has confirmed this. He told that the order of August 14 has been withdrawn on Wednesday, August 19. In such a situation, this instruction keeping students away from political demonstrations will no longer be applicable.

 

What was the whole matter?

In fact, on August 14, an order was sent to the registrars of all the universities of the state. In this, necessary steps were asked to stop school and college students from participating in political movements and demonstrations. In the order, School Education Department, Higher Education Department, Police and District Administration were instructed to keep an eye on this with mutual coordination.

On behalf of the government, officials and educational institutions were asked to ensure that students do not take part in demonstrations, agitations and strikes under the banner of political organizations. However, after this instruction came out, political controversy started in the state.

CJP had expressed strong opposition

Let us tell you, CJP had openly opposed the government order. The party had demanded its immediate withdrawal, calling it unconstitutional. CJP spokesperson Saurav Das had said that no government has the right to restrict any person's right to peaceful protest. He had said that in a democracy, it is the right of every citizen to express his views peacefully. After the party's protest, this issue became more discussed.

The order came amid NEET protests

This entire controversy came to light at a time when protests were going on in Tamil Nadu regarding NEET. Student organizations associated with CJP and leftist parties are agitating demanding abolition of NEET. In such a situation, the government's instructions to stop students from participating in these demonstrations directly became an issue of political debate.

Those who criticized the government's order linked it to the democratic rights of students, whereas the purpose of such instructions from the government was said to be to keep students away from political activities.

Decisions had been taken earlier also in students' matters

Interestingly, the Vijay government has already shown a soft stance in the matter of student-related protests. The government had directed to withdraw old police cases registered against students during the anti-NEET protests. Now after the withdrawal of the order of August 14, another change has been seen in the government's stance. Although the government has not revealed the detailed reason behind withdrawing the order, this decision has become a topic of discussion in the state amid opposition from CJP and other organizations.

Leave a Comment