America is facing huge losses in the war that started with Iran. According to the latest figures from the Pentagon, since the beginning of the war, 18 American soldiers have been killed, while 757 soldiers have been injured.
New Delhi: America is facing huge losses in the war that started with Iran. According to the latest figures from the Pentagon, since the beginning of the war, 18 American soldiers have been killed, while 757 soldiers have been injured. The US Defense Ministry on Wednesday added the names of more than 50 injured soldiers to its Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS).
What did the Pentagon’s data reveal?
According to the CNN report, combined figures from the Overseas Operations category and Operation Epic Fury show that these casualties have occurred since the war against Iran began on February 28. Last month, the Pentagon had created a new category called Overseas Operations in DCAS, so that records of soldiers killed or injured after July 7 could be kept.
The department has not given much information about this category nor has it clearly stated which conflict it is related to. But this date coincides with when the Trump administration told Congress that a new conflict with Iran had begun under the War Powers Act.
Questions raised on irregularities in reporting
These new figures come at a time when the Pentagon is being accused of irregularities in reporting casualties. Last month, while the Iranian attacks were ongoing, information about four deaths and several injuries disappeared from the database for a while.
After criticism, the Defense Department said it was a temporary data glitch and the data was later restored. The Pentagon has also been criticized for its delay in providing information about injured soldiers, although officials had cited security reasons.
Talks fail, Trump’s threat and Iran’s counterattack
These figures of casualties have come to light at a time when diplomatic efforts have come to a standstill and the Strait of Hormuz remains the biggest center of tension. US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that despite stalling talks with Tehran, the situation with Iran is very good.
Trump has also increased economic pressure on Iran. He warned on social media that any country that provides any kind of help to Iran through its banks, businesses, airports or government institutions will have to face serious economic consequences. “This will be an economic ‘D-Day,'” Trump wrote. He asked American allies to help isolate Iran.
Iran has called these threats hollow. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi said that increasing economic pressure will lead to more defeat for America. He alleged that Trump is doing all this to divert attention from his country’s increasing debt, inflation and interest costs.