Minnesota AG Ellison Sues Texas Governor Abbott to Force ICE Agent’s Extradition

Minnesota AG Ellison Sues Texas Governor Abbott to Force ICE Agent’s Extradition/ TezzBuzz/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to compel the extradition of ICE agent Christian Castro. Castro faces assault and false-reporting charges stemming from the nonfatal shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis during an immigration crackdown in Minneapolis. Minnesota officials warn Castro could be released from a Texas jail next week unless Abbott signs the extradition warrant.

FILE – Texas Gov. Greg Abbott speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas, March 27, 2026. (AP Photo/Gabriela Passos, File)

Quick Look

  • Minnesota filed the lawsuit Tuesday.
  • Attorney General Keith Ellison named Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
  • Minnesota seeks the extradition of ICE agent Christian Castro.
  • Castro faces assault and false-reporting charges.
  • The case stems from a Jan. 14 shooting in Minneapolis.
  • Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis was wounded in the leg.
  • A bullet lodged in a child’s bedroom wall.
  • Prosecutors allege Castro knowingly gave false information afterward.
  • Castro was arrested 11 days after charges were filed.
  • He is being held in Cameron County, Texas.
  • Ellison plans to seek a temporary restraining order.
  • Texas law could require Castro’s release after 90 days.
  • Ellison says Castro could flee across the nearby border.
  • Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz previously requested extradition.
  • Texas has extradited three unrelated defendants to Minnesota since Castro’s arrest.
  • Abbott’s office has not granted the request.
FILE – Tear gas surrounds federal law enforcement officers as they leave a scene after a shooting on Jan. 14, 2026, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

Deep Look

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday in an attempt to force the extradition of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Christian Castro.

Minnesota prosecutors want Castro returned to the state to stand trial on charges of assault and falsely reporting a crime.

The case stems from the nonfatal shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis during an ICE enforcement operation in Minneapolis.

Ellison seeks emergency court order

Ellison said he would request a temporary restraining order involving the Cameron County Sheriff’s Office.

The proposed order would prevent the Texas jail from releasing Castro.

It would also require Abbott to sign an extradition warrant allowing Minnesota law enforcement officers to take custody of the ICE agent.

Minnesota officials say the matter is becoming urgent because Castro could soon reach Texas’ maximum detention period for a person awaiting extradition.

ICE agent could be released next week

Castro faces possible release next week, which would mark 90 days since his detention.

Ellison said Texas law could require the jail to release him once that period expires.

Castro is being held in a border community, raising concerns that he could leave the United States before facing trial.

Minnesota is seeking immediate judicial intervention to ensure he remains in custody.

Complaint details Minneapolis shooting

Minneapolis prosecutors charged Castro with assault and falsely reporting a crime in the Jan. 14 shooting.

The criminal complaint alleges that Castro fired toward the front door of a Minneapolis home.

A bullet struck Sosa-Celis in the leg before becoming lodged in the wall of a child’s bedroom.

The shooting did not result in a death.

Prosecutors allege false account

Authorities also accuse Castro of knowingly giving false information to a law enforcement officer about the incident.

That allegation resulted in the additional charge of falsely reporting a crime.

Castro was arrested 11 days after Minneapolis prosecutors filed the charges.

The extradition dispute has prevented Minnesota authorities from bringing him back for court proceedings.

Ellison says Castro must face justice

“Christian Castro has been charged with breaking the law in Minnesota,” Ellison said. “He must face justice in Minnesota. Gov. Abbott should have granted Gov. Walz’s extradition request long ago and is required to do so now.”

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz previously submitted the formal request to Texas.

“Christian Castro is not above the law and Greg Abbott isn’t either,” Ellison added.

County attorney calls lawsuit unnecessary

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said Minnesota should not have needed to take Abbott to court.

She described the legal action to compel Castro’s extradition as something that “should be a completely unnecessary lawsuit.”

Moriarty said Cameron County jail officials and local Texas prosecutors had been “very cooperative.”

“It is not supposed to be controversial,” she said.

Moriarty said Texas had returned three other criminal defendants to Minnesota without difficulty since Castro’s arrest.

Those unrelated extraditions were completed at the request of Minnesota authorities.

Officials cited the cases as evidence that the process functions normally when Texas state leaders approve requests.

They argue that Castro is being treated differently despite facing criminal charges in Minnesota.

Minnesota interprets delay as refusal

Ellison said Minnesota officials have repeatedly communicated with Abbott’s administration.

“Gov. Abbott has received communication with us on an ongoing basis, including recently,” Ellison said. “We have to take the position that they are refusing to honor the extradition request.”

The lawsuit asks the court to intervene before Castro becomes eligible for release and potentially leaves the jurisdiction.

More on US News

Leave a Comment