Nick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine, suspended from tennis

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been temporarily suspended after testing positive for a cocaine metabolite. The tribunal's decision in the matter is pending.

Tennis: Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been temporarily suspended from international tennis after testing positive for cocaine. According to the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), Kyrgios' sample, taken during the Majorca Open on June 22, tested positive for the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The temporary suspension on 31-year-old Kyrgios has been in effect since August 4. At present this matter will continue till the final decision is taken. The player has the right to appeal the suspension, but according to ITIA he has not appealed against it yet.

Sample was taken during Mallorca Open

Kyrgios' doping sample was taken on June 22 at the Mallorca Open. During testing, benzoylicogonine was found, which is the main metabolite formed in the body after cocaine consumption.

This case is also important because the sample was taken during a competition in which Kyrgios took part. He played men's singles competition at the Mallorca Open and lost in the first round against Adam Walton.

Under doping rules, if any banned substance is found during the competition, strict action can be taken against the player. However, the final punishment will be decided only after the completion of the relevant judicial process.

Kyrgios admitted the mistake

After the doping case came to light, Nick Kyrgios issued a long statement on social media. He called this incident a big mistake and said that he will take full responsibility for it. Kyrgios apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and those close to him. He especially mentioned the children who follow him and said that he knows that his move may set a wrong example.

He also said that injuries over the years have affected him mentally and physically. According to him, his body was not able to do what his mind expected of him. Kyrgios said that accepting the situation as he is nearing the end of his career has been more difficult for him than he imagined. However, he clarified that none of these circumstances justify what he did.

Distance from social media for 28 days

Kyrgios said he would stay away from social media and public life for the next 28 days. He says that he wants to focus on himself at this time and will try to improve his situation.

The statement comes at a time when Kyrgios has been battling long-term injuries and limited competitive tennis. Knee and wrist problems have affected his career significantly and he has been able to play only four singles matches so far this season.

Given his current condition, the temporary suspension is another major blow to his professional career.

How much can be the punishment?

Under doping rules, Kyrgios could face a maximum ban of four years. However, in the case of a substance like cocaine, the rules provide for different punishments depending on the circumstances.

If a player can prove that a banned substance was taken out of competition, the possible maximum suspension may be reduced to three months.

However, the final punishment in Kyrgios' case will depend on many facts. The sample was taken during the competition and the further process will decide how the matter is handled as per the rules.

At present, temporary suspension is in force against him and the final decision will come after the completion of the tribunal process.

What will Kyrgios not be able to do during the suspension?

Due to the temporary suspension, Kyrgios cannot perform official duties related to playing, coaching or attendance at any Grand Slam tournament. Apart from this, the ban will also be applicable in other competitions sanctioned by Men's and Women's Tennis Tour.

This means that it will not be possible for him to participate in official professional tennis activities until the case is pending and the suspension is lifted or changed.

Injuries have already affected career

Kyrgios has struggled with injuries over the past few years. His presence on the court has been limited due to knee and wrist problems.

This season he has played only four singles matches. His last match was in the men's doubles event at Wimbledon, where he partnered Alexander Bublik. The pair lost in the first round.

Kyrgios's career was already going through an uncertain phase due to persistent injuries and limited match practice. Now the doping case has become a new challenge for his future.

Big achievements in tennis career

Kyrgios's career has been full of controversies as well as many big achievements. He has won seven singles titles on the ATP Tour.

Her biggest achievements include reaching the 2022 Wimbledon final. In the final he had to face defeat against Novak Djokovic in four sets.

Kyrgios also won the Australian Open men's doubles title in 2022 with his compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis. At his best, he was considered one of the most talented tennis players capable of defeating the world's top players.

He was also involved in controversies regarding his behavior on the court.

Nick Kyrgios has been in the news for a long time due to his aggressive and controversial behavior. He was fined heavily several times for breaking rackets, arguing with the umpire and using objectionable words on the court.

His behavior has often been debated in the tennis world. Despite this, his talent and ability to perform against big players has kept him among the most talked-about players in the game.

In 2023, he pleaded guilty to charges of assaulting his former girlfriend two years earlier. However, he did not face a criminal conviction in this case.

Have commented on doping cases before

Interestingly, Kyrgios has been vocal on issues related to doping in tennis in the past also. He criticized tennis officials' handling of the high-profile doping cases involving top players Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek.

Now this situation is quite different and challenging for Kyrgios, who himself is facing temporary suspension in the doping case. He will now have to face the regulatory process in his case.

Have also spoken openly on mental health

Nick Kyrgios has also spoken publicly about his mental health struggles in the past. He had told that after his defeat at Wimbledon in 2019, he had to spend time in a psychiatric hospital in London.

He had also publicly shared that he had suicidal thoughts during that period. His statements sparked discussion about the mental health of players in professional sports.

Even in the current doping case, he has mentioned mental pressure due to injuries and the last phase of his career. However, he has clearly said that these circumstances are not an excuse for his decision.

Now keeping an eye on the tribunal's decision

The further legal and disciplinary process will now be important in Kyrgios' case. ITIA has stated that the player had the right to appeal against the temporary suspension, but at present he has not appealed.

Only after the final decision will it be clear how long Kyrgios is banned and when he will be able to return to professional tennis.

The matter is also important for his fans because the 31-year-old player is already in a challenging phase of his career due to injuries.

Leave a Comment