New Delhi, Aug 21:
Congress MP Rahul Gandhi staged a sit-in outside the Parliament Street Police Station on Friday after a 19-year-old alleged pellet-gun victim claimed that police had refused to register an FIR over injuries sustained during the July 20 student protest.
Rahul Gandhi accompanied Sahil Lochab, who alleged that he suffered pellet injuries during the “Sansad Chalo” march. The Congress leader said he would remain at the police station until an FIR was registered.
Senior Congress leaders Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Jairam Ramesh and Kumari Selja also joined the protest.
Delhi Police said Lochab’s complaint had been accepted and would be forwarded to the Crime Branch, which is already investigating cases registered in connection with the July 20 violence. An investigating officer has also been assigned.
The Congress has alleged that Rapid Action Force personnel used pellet guns during the protest, a claim denied by Delhi Police. The Supreme Court has constituted an expert committee to examine allegations of excessive use of force.
Rahul Gandhi has also accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah of authorising excessive force and demanded accountability over the alleged use of pellet guns.