Bandra: Fourth day of bulldozer action, police strict against stone pelters, 19 arrested so far

This is the fourth day of the campaign against the ongoing encroachment in Garib Nagar slum outside Mumbai’s Bandra Railway Station. On Wednesday, May 20, some anti-social elements pelted stones at the police deployed for security. After this incident, police have registered FIR and started action. So far 19 accused have been arrested in this case. However, the total number of stone pelters is said to be more than 150. The arrested accused were presented in the court yesterday by the police, after which the court sent them to police remand.

Bulldozer action continues against encroachment, more than 1000 police forces deployed

After the attack on the police on Wednesday, the police has started arresting the accused. Vineet Abhishek, Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway, told Tezzbuzz, “This is the biggest demolition drive ever undertaken by Western Railways. Whatever action is being taken is as per the court order. This entire area is very sensitive, hence a lot of preparation was done before starting the demolition drive here.” While giving information, Vineet Abhishek also said that more than 1000 security personnel are deployed here since the first day for this entire operation. These include about 400 security forces of Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force (RPF) and 400 personnel of Railway Police and Maharashtra Security Force.

Western Railway’s biggest action against encroachment, legal battle lasted for 9 years

The expansion of Garib Nagar slum located in Bandra, Mumbai started in 1980 and 1990. Most of the people living here were laborers who had migrated from other states. But it is alleged that for the last two decades, this area had become a base for Bangladeshi and Rohingya Muslims living illegally in India. The kutcha houses that were built in the initial days were soon converted into permanent 3 to 4 storey illegal structures. Western Railway sources say that the market value of this land is more than Rs 600 crore. Which is very useful for the expansion of railways in future. In the year 2017, Western Railway had started the legal process to vacate this land under the Public Premises Act. This matter first went to the Bombay High Court and then to the Supreme Court and then after 9 years of legal battle, in April 2026, the Bombay High Court allowed the Railways to remove the encroachment.

Also read: Chaos during removal of encroachment in Bandra, security increased after stones pelted at police

Following the order of High Court and searching for stone pelters through CCTV

However, today is the fourth day and bulldozer action is going on in Garib Nagar of Bandra. At the same time, the 100 structures which have been protected from bulldozer action for the time being by the Bombay High Court, are being taken hammer action by the Railways with the help of its workers on the illegal floors built above them so that they do not get damaged. It is being told that it may take 3 to 4 more days to complete this demolition campaign. On the other hand, strict police action is going on against those disrupting government work and throwing stones at the police. With the help of CCTV cameras installed in the area and video footage going viral on social media, the police is busy searching for the stone pelters.

Comments are closed.