A tragic accident took place in Karol Bagh area of Delhi on Friday morning. During demolition on Pyare Lal Road in Regarpura, an old two-storey building suddenly collapsed. In the accident, one laborer died after being buried under the debris, while three other laborers were injured. The condition of one of them is said to be serious.
Building suddenly collapsed during demolition
The accident happened around 11:15 in the morning. As soon as the information was received, teams of Delhi Police and Fire Department reached the spot and started relief and rescue operations. The workers were pulled out from the debris and taken to the hospital.
According to Ramgopal Meena, Divisional Officer of Delhi Fire Service, the building was very old and in a dilapidated condition and the work of demolishing it was going on. Preliminary investigation has revealed that the owners of the building had entrusted the demolition work to a private contractor.
One worker died, three injured
Sheikh Shamshad was seriously injured in the accident. He died during treatment in the hospital. His body has been sent to the mortuary of Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC).
At the same time, Mohammad Ayub has suffered head injury and fracture in his right hand. After first aid, he was referred to Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where his condition is said to be critical. Sheikh Saidul suffered injuries on his arms and legs, while Rafiq-ul suffered minor injuries.
Allegation of demolition without permission
According to the police, necessary permission was not taken from the concerned agency for the demolition work. The owners of the building and the private contractor have been detained for questioning in the case. Police are investigating how the work started without necessary permissions and safety standards.
Questions raised again on security after Rohini accident
This is not the first incident of building collapse in Delhi. Last month, three people were killed when an under-construction four-storey building collapsed in Rohini. The Karol Bagh incident has once again raised serious questions regarding demolition of dilapidated buildings, construction safety and necessary permissions. Investigation of the matter is ongoing.
Follow the LALLURAM.COM MP channel on WhatsApp